Pumpkin Cake with Salted Caramel and Buttercream Icing
Pumpkin Cake Ingredients
1 cup (two sticks) room temp, unsalted butter
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
2 cup homemade or canned pumpkin puree
1 cup warm (not hot) milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two to three 8-inch round cake pans. Line pan with parchment and butter the parchment.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add pumpkin puree and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35-50 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
- Unmold cake and once completely cool, ice with our Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting. Add Salted Caramel Sauce between each layer of icing.
Salted Caramel Sauce Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar
12 tbsps unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup heavy cream, room temp
1 tbsp fleur de sel (or other flaky sea salt)
- Add sugar in even layer to heavy bottom saucepan (2 to 3 quarts). Heat over medium heat and whisk as it begins to melt. Sugar will clump, this is normal, it will melt.
- Continue heating until sugar becomes amber and reaches 330 degrees
- As soon as it reaches 350, keep on heat, and add butter in pieces until melted and completely incorporated into sugar. Remove from heat.
- Pour in cream and whisk until incorporated
- Add salt and whisk
- Pour sauce into glass containers to cool. Once cool, seal container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream Ingredients
1 ½ lb (6 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 3/4 cup granulated sugar
10 egg whites
Dash of salt
2-3 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Heat egg whites, sugar, and salt in double boiler whisking constantly until mixture reaches 160 degrees
- Transfer to bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high until meringue is thick and completely cool
- Once cool, add softened butter and mix on low speed until icing is formed (no longer separated). Scrape bowl and mix again to make sure all the meringue has been incorporated with the butter.
- Add desired extracts/additions as desired